Time to updgrade :-) First in my laptop.
I will be the using the 64 bit alternate cd to upgrade. This means that the upgrade will have a cd image as his source, and not the Internet. This way it's much faster.
Before you start
- Check for updates using Update Manager
- Backup your data
- Check the Release Notes
- Download Ubuntu (I recommend using Torrents)
- Check the file hash (example: md5sum ubuntu-8.10-alternate-amd64.iso)
- Be sure to upgrade from Ubuntu 8.04.
- Use Gmount-iso to mount the iso file. This way cd could be mounted without having to burn a cd.
$ gksu "sh /cdrom/cdromupgrade"And now we wait...
During the upgrade there may be some questions about replacing some configuration files. I replaced them all with the new versions.
After restarting and reactivating my Software Sources there were more updates to do. This is because Ubuntu deactivates other software sources and because I made the upgrade from the alternate cd.