As I keep my /home partition separated from my / partition (they're in fact in different drives), I can install without much worries. I have to reinstall a bunch of things, but I was in need of a clean up anyway.
- Backup your data!
- Be sure you have the latest updates prior to this new release:
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get upgrade
- Download Ubuntu. In my case was the 64bit version (ubuntu-11.10-desktop-amd64.iso).
- Check the hash of the downloaded file:
$ md5sum ubuntu-11.10-alternate-amd64.iso
- Compare the output with the Ubuntu hash list:
- Create a CD or a bootable USB stick. I used the "Startup Disk Creator" in Ubuntu. More information here.
- Reboot into your CD or bootable USB stick.